Date: October 25, 2011
Venue: Boshundhara Convention Centre 2, Dhaka
shiree organised an Extreme Poverty Day on October 25, 2011 to highlight the challenges and opportunities facing the extreme poor.
In 2009, we focused on announcing the establishment of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Extreme Poverty and introducing the project partners (and shiree!) to the world. The results were very positive, especially as far as sensitising the government (MPs) about ‘extreme’ poverty. In 2010, we co-hosted the event with UPPR to focus on urban extreme poverty and private sector partnerships. Again, (due to your efforts!) the results were positive. Over 20 partnerships came out of the event.
In 2011, we co-hosted the event with BRAC and British Council, and we selected the theme Eradicating Extreme Poverty: Whose Responsibility Is It? We brought out the roles of various stakeholders and encourage collaboration.
Video of other speakers:
- Abul Maal Abdul Muhith, Honorable Minister, Ministry of Finance - Part 1 | Part 2
- Israfil Alam, MP and Chair, All Party Parliamentary Group for Extreme Poverty
- Dr. Mihir Kanti Majumder, Honorable Secretary – RDCD
- Dr. Atiur Rahman, Honorable Governer Bangladesh Bank
- Sir Fazle Hasan Abed, Chairman, BRAC
- His Excellency Robert Winnington Gibson, the British High Commissioner
- Anir Chowdhury, Policy Advisor, A2I Project
- Sadaf Saaz Siddiqi, Marketing Director, Sidko Apparels Ltd.
To see the event photos, click here.