Gana Unnayan Kendra (GUK)
Reducing extreme poor by skills development on garments
Sadar Upazila, Gaibandha District
See the project areas on Google Maps
Target Beneficiary households (BHH)
- One month long residential training on sewing machine operation will be organized for one person from the BHH. Two experienced Line Supervisors and one Cutting Master of garments factories facilitate the course;
- After completing the course the trained beneficiary will undertake an internship at a garments factory for two months;
- The project will setup Family Development Plans (FDPs) which will help to improve awareness on basic rights and socio-economic issues amongst all family members in the BHH;
- The training, internship, and with the support of GUK in partnership with BGMEA, the BHH will graduate in 12 months with the possibility of securing a job within six months from selection;
- The BHH will receive a stipend during the training and internship;
- At the beginning of internship, beneficiaries would be closely supervised by the project staff to retain them in the urban environment.
- Graduation period: 12 months.
- Output 1: 1,160 extreme poor marginalized people (min 50% women) have been trained in skilled machine operation of woven garments;
- Output 2: More than 1,102 extreme poor marginalized people (minimum 50% women) get salaried-jobs in woven garments factories;
- Output 3: Beneficiaries and their family members are more sensitised on basic rights and socioeconomic issues.
See the works of SHIREE funded project of GUK on flickr