Shidhulai Swanirvar Sangstha
Four Ideas for Poverty Alleviation and Climate Adaptation
Pabna, Rajshahi Division
See the project areas on Google Maps
Target Beneficiary households (BHH)
- Lifting 600 extreme poor households living in the flood-prone areas through asset transfer, employment creation and improving their quality of life and nutritional status;
- Solar-powered training boat training BHHs on the three-tier farming (3TF -floating garden along with chicken and fish raising in three-tiers), two-tier farming (2TF- duck and fish raising in two-tiers), Iswardi 34 and chewing cane, market access and promote climate change adaptations;
- The project will provide BHHs with 3TF and 2TF structures, cash support, agricultural inputs, SuryaHurricane (an innovative low-cost solar lantern made from recycled parts of the conventional and much used kerosene hurricane lantern), chicken, ducks and fishes. The project will provide each BHH with poultry and fish feed support during the first year, and also provide the chicken, duck and fish health support (vaccination and treatment).
- Onboard training will support landless people to adapt to climate change induced flooding – help them stay at their village in the monsoon while ensuring the year round income. SuryaHurricane lanterns will provide improved-lights in dark villages, while ensuring save travel through flooded lands, reducing CO2 emissions and saving fossil fuel and costs;
- Graduation period: 18-24 months.
- Tier farming undertaken at the household level (including delivery of inputs) by 600 BHHs;
- BHHs successfully lease 66 acres of lands with improved capacity to farm sugarcane varieties;
- 70 BHHs are trained in various IGAs with the introduction of SuryaHurricane to the community;
- Awareness on extreme poverty, climate change resilient livelihoods, and social concerns.
See the works of SHIREE funded project of Shidhulai Swanirvar Sangstha on flickr