Save the Children (Innovation Round 4): Out-of-Poverty-Graduation-Model for Urban Extreme Poor: A Child Focused Innovation
Khulna town, Khulna Division
See the project areas on Google Maps
Manob Seba O Samajik Unnanyan Sangstha (MSSUS)
3600 Beneficiary Households (BHHs) – 1200 Direct Beneficiaries, 2400 indirect beneficiaries
The total budget is BDT 34,499,958;
cost per BHH is BDT 28,750
of which direct delivery cost per BHH is BDT 18,146
- The innovation is a child-focused social protection model on providing a “prevention and positive” pathway and piloting an out-of-poverty-graduation model for the urban extreme poor.
- The first major area of intervention will be to work with street children. The project will set up Learning cum Recreation Centres (LRC) for the children.
- The second major area of intervention is to work with extreme poor urban households of street children. The project will through street children identify clusters of extreme poor homeless families that live on the streets or slums. This will be followed by family level micro-planning to match possibilities of economic empowerment with the existing skills and capacities of the family members.
- The third area of intervention will be social capital building to develop people’s capacity to improve their lives, access services and strengthen social networks and support systems.
- Capacity building of Khulna Municipal Corporation in order to enable them to plan and implement social and child protection services.
- Output 1: Enhanced capabilities of urban extreme poor children and households to access government safety nets/social protection, and other facilities.
- Output 2: Productive asset base and livelihood options of extreme poor urban households enhanced.
- Output 3: Street children / children from extreme poor urban households have access to services through learning cum recreational centres (LRC) in addition to a smaller group getting access to services and referrals including TVET.
- Output 4: Capacity of Khulna Municipality strengthened to enable them to provide social and child protection services for extreme poor households in Khulna town.
See the works of SHIREE funded project of Save the Children on flickr