Caritas Bangladesh: Ensuring Sustainable Livelihood of Extreme Poor of CHT
Bandarban, district of Chittagong Division
See the project areas on Google Maps
10,000 Beneficiary Households (BHHs)
Years to graduate
Budget and Cost per BHH
The total budget is BDT 300,225,160
cost per BHH is BDT 30,022
of which direct delivery cost per BHH is BDT 19,356.
- Introduces agro-forestry integrated gardening with diversification of crops avoiding jhum (slash & burn) cultivation, organic farming;
- Adopts community approach along-with coordination and collaboration with local Government and community people;
- Purchases and distributes (as grant) inputs like saplings of fruit (short & long-term) and timber species; seeds/seedlings for cash crops of ginger, turmeric; pineapple sucker, banana; cow-dung; livestock;
- Creates employment through cash for work for making the land arable and tree/crop plantation;
- Develops appropriate and feasible skills for sustainable agriculture (e.g. plantation technique, vegetable and cash crop cultivation, etc.);
- Provide vocational training (through residential & mobile trade schools) courses for dropped-out unskilled youngsters;
- Motivate parents and raise awareness on importance of education; Provide education materials and conditional monthly stipend to the most deserving school going students; Run non-formal education centres in remote hilly area;
- Raising awareness on immunization and primary health care; provide support for sanitation and drinking water.
- Output 1: Households are supported to acquire and/or possess hilly and plain land.
- Output 2: Beneficiary households are provided with input supports for increase of income and food security.
- Output 3: Parents and teachers are sensitised; children have a friendly environment and receive education materials and stipends.
See the works of SHIREE funded project of Caritas Bangladesh on flickr